Saturday, August 28, 2010

back to avea 2 and hope house.

Friday morning we headed back out to Avea 2 to work at the medical clinic. I spent most of my time watching Kelli consult (it was fun for me to see her using her training). Most of the patients are older, with issues with blood pressure or back pain, but we did see an adorable 8-month old baby. He had malaria, but because he was so little, it took some time to figure how to give him the medicine he needed. We were limited by the medicines and dosages available at the clinic, so Kelli and Heather (a nurse and 6-month intern here) had to get a little creative.

Friday afternoon we headed back to Hope House. This time we took the soccer balls the kids from the Bridge bought, and they were a huge hit! Kelli and I both spent some time kicking around the ball with the kids (though the kids had way better moves than either of us did). We got some great photos and videos of them with the balls, and I'm excited to share these with the kids at church when I get back.

I also got to meet Pastor Israel, who runs Hope House with his wife, Flor. We talked about how kids come to the orphanage, and the process they're currently going through to be accredited by the government. The last thing they need is mosquito screens for the windows, and then they'll be fully licensed. We also talked about adoption in Gabon, which is pretty much impossible between the red tape and the cost. I told him a little about how the foster care and adoption systems work in the US, and some of the stuff I've seen as a volunteer for CASA. I asked him about some of the specific needs they have, and I'm praying about the role God wants me to play in meeting those.

Today (Saturday) we spent the day painting and helping the Kellys (another missionary family here) move, and we took a trip Mont Buet - but I'll let Kelli describe that experience!

No comments:

Post a Comment